Ingredients and Method
- 800g Shortcrust Pastry
- 2 tbsp Milk, to glaze
- 1.4kg Bramley Apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 50g Butter
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 325g Caster Sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C/ 400°F/ Gas Mark 6.
- Heat the butter in a large saucepan; add the cinnamon, 300g/10.5 oz of the sugar and the apples. Simmer for about 10 minutes until the fruit is soft.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface to about 3cm larger than the pie dish and cut into strips.
- Place the pastry strips on top of the pie and weave them into a lattice design. Trim away any excess pastry; brush the top with milk to glaze and sprinkle with the remaining caster sugar.
- Bake for 30 minutes until the pastry is golden and the filling is bubbling. Leave to stand for 10-15 minutes before serving.