Perfect Beef Casserole
Ingredients and Method
- 1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 3 Celery Sticks, cubed
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 4 Carrots, sliced
- 4 Bay Leaves
- 4 sprigs of Thyme
- 2 tbsp Plain Flour
- 2 tbsp Tomato Purée
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 Beef Stock Cubes, crumbled
- 600ml Hot Water
- 800g Stewing Beef, cut into nice large chunks
- Heat up the butter and oil in a pan. Place the celery, onion, carrots, bay and 1 thyme sprig in the pan and soften for 15 minutes.
- Add the flour and beat until fully combined, then add the tomato puree, Worcestershire sauce and beef stock cubes
- Gradually, stir in 600ml hot water and stir.
- Tip the beef into the mixture and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Heat oven to 160°C or 140°C for a fan oven
- Pour the mixture into the Perfect Casserole dish, cover and place in the oven for 3 hours until the meat is tender and the sauce has thickened.