This moist carrot cake is truly a classic. With grated carrots and a cream cheese frosting, this cake has a distinctive rich colour and texture that really sets it apart.
Ingredients and Method
- For the sponge
- 225g self-raising flour
- 150ml sunflower oil
- 150g light muscovado sugar
- 100g carrots, grated
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 50g walnuts, chopped
- For the cream cheese frosting
- 50g soft margarine
- 100g icing sugar
- 1tsp vanilla essence
- Walnuts to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/Gas 4. Lightly grease a 20cm cake tin and line the base with parchment paper.
- Mix the sugar, flour, baking powder, grated carrots, walnuts, sunflower oil and eggs in a large Mason Cash mixing bowl until smooth and lighter in colour. Mash the ripe bananas and stir into the mixture until fully combined.
- Pour the mixture into the cake tin and bake in the oven for about 50 - 60 minutes, or until well risen. Pierce a skewer through the middle and if it comes out clean, it’s ready.
- Leave the cake to cool in the tins for a few moments, then turn it out on a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the cream cheese frosting, mix the soft cheese, margarine, icing sugar and vanilla essence into a mixing bowl until smooth. Spread over the top of the cake and decorate the top with walnuts.