Chocolate Drizzle Coconut Macaroons
Ingredients and Method
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 150g desiccated coconut
- 3 medium egg whites
- 50g dark chocolate (good quality 85% cocoa solids for best results) broken into squares
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 170°C and line a large baking sheet with baking parchment.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the maple syrup, vanilla extract and desiccated coconut and set aside.
- In a clean mixing bowl, whisk the egg whites with salt until stiff peaks form before gently folding them into the coconut mixture with a metal spoon.
- Working quickly so that the mixture doesn’t separate, use a tablespoon to scoop the mixture onto the sheet making 18 mounds, spaced well apart. Make the mounds neat with a spoon or your fingers.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until the macaroons are lightly browned. Remove from the oven and cool on the baking sheet.
- If you want a chocolate drizzle, melt the chocolate in a bain-marie and drizzle it over the macaroons using a teaspoon before allowing to set.