Chocolate Orange Whoopee Teacakes
Ingredients and Method
- 220g Plain Flour
- 125g Unsalted Butter (Softened)
- 125g Caster Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 3 tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 1 tbsp Grated orange zest
- 1 Medium egg, beaten
- 2 tbsp Orange juice
- 275g Caster sugar
- 4 Medium egg whites
- 1/2 tsp Cream of tartar
- 1 ½ tsp Water
- A few drops of Orange extract
- 100g Dark chocolate (70% cocoa), chopped into fine pieces
- 2 tsp Vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp Grated orange zest
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F.
- Line a baking sheet with some greaseproof paper.
- In a 24cm bowl, mix the flour, cocoa, bicarbonate of soda, salt and orange zest together.
- In a 29cm bowl, beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Gradually add the egg and orange juice and mix for a few minutes until fully combined. Mix in the dry ingredients until you have a thick cookie paste.
- Use a dessert spoon to scoop the cookie dough and roll it into a ball in the palm of your hands. Place the dough balls onto your baking sheet and bake for around 12 minutes or until the edges of the cookies go darker brown.
- Remove them from the oven and let them cool for a few minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- To make the marshmallow, tip the sugar, egg whites, cream of tartar and water into a glass bowl. Whisk (with an electronic whisk) until fluffed up, then place over a pan of simmering water and continue to whisk until the mixture stiffens into peaks.
- Remove from the pan and add the orange extract and whisk for a further 2 minutes until thickened.
- Once ready, fill a piping bag with the mix and pipe onto the biscuits whilst still on the baking tray to form a swirl and place in the fridge to cool.
- Meanwhile melt the chocolate and oil in a glass bowl over a pan of simmering water until smooth and glossy. Allow the chocolate to cool for a few minutes then remove the cookies from the fridge. Drizzle a few teaspoons of the chocolate over each cookie and sprinkle with the orange zest.