Heavenly Chocolate Pudding
Ingredients and Method
- 100g Butter, plus extra for greasing
- 2 tbsp Golden Syrup
- 100g Dark Muscovado Sugar
- 150ml Milk
- 1 Medium Egg
- 20g Cocoa Powder
- 210g Self-raising Flour
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- Butter the inside of a 0.9litre (S36) Pudding Basin and line the base with a disc of buttered greaseproof paper.
- Mix together the cocoa, flour, cinnamon and bicarbonate of soda in a mixing bowl.
- Melt the butter, golden syrup and sugar in a saucepan. Remove from the heat and allow to cool for a few minutes before stirring in the milk and egg. Add this to the flour mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the pudding basin then cover with a layer of greaseproof paper and then foil, making a pleat in the centre to allow the pudding to rise (see our how to steam a pudding tutorial for advice).Tie the foil securely with string, then place in a large pan with enough water to come halfway up the sides of the basin.
- Steam the pudding for 1 & ¼ hours, checking the water level during cooking. Top up if necessary. Once steamed, lift the basin out of the pan, remove the lid and turn the pudding out onto a plate (see our tutorials for guidance).