Traditional Christmas Pudding
Ingredients and Method
- 50g Ground Almonds
- 2 Large Bramley CookingApples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 Whole Nutmeg, grated
- 1.2kg Mixed Dried Fruit and Candied Peel
- 140g Plain Flower
- 100g Soft, white Breadcrumbs
- 100g Light Muscovado Sugar
- 3 Large Eggs
- 2 tbsp Brandy
- 250g Butter, grated
- Butter the inside of a 1 litre (S30) Pudding Basin and line the base with a disc of buttered greaseproof paper.
- Mix all the ingredients for the pudding, except the butter, in a large bowl.
- Add the grated butter and stir until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into the pudding basin and press down. Cover with a layer of greaseproof paper and then foil, making a pleat in the centre to allow the pudding to rise.
- Tie the foil securely with string, and then place each pudding in a large pan with enough water to come halfway up the sides of the basin.
- Steam the pudding for 8 hours, topping up with water as necessary.
- Remove from the pans and leave to cool overnight. When cold, wrap in greaseproof paper and foil and store till Christmas When ready to serve, steam again for 1 hour and turn out.