Clay Roasted Chicken with Gravy
Ingredients and Method
- 1 Large Chicken
- 1 Large Onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 2 Celery Stalks, diced
- 2 Large Carrots, diced
- 1 tbsp Unsalted Butter, optional
- 150ml Chicken Stock
- 1 Lemon
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- Soak the clay cooker in cold water for 10 minutes.Meanwhile, rub the chicken all over with the butter (optional), then place the lemon and garlic into the chicken crevice.
- Take the clay cooker out of the water and place the onion and celery in a layer in the base of the clay cooker, pour over the stock and place the chicken on top of them. Place the carrots around the chicken.
- Cover the clay cooker and place in a cold oven. Heat the oven to 220°C, gas 7 and cook the chicken for an hour and 30 minutes or until the legs move easily and the skin is lightly browned. Transfer the chicken to a platter and leave to stand for 20 mins.
- Meanwhile pour the pan juices into a bowl for flavoursome gravy. If you require thicker gravy, just mix in a tbsp of flour.
- Serve with potatoes, which can be cooked separately or diced or quartered and placed on and around the chicken before placing in the oven.