Cash's Cornish Pasties
Ingredients and Method
- For the pastry:
- 675g Strong Plain Flour
- Pinch of Salt
- 150g Lard, chilled in the freezer
- 150g Butter, chilled in the freezer
- Egg, beaten to glaze
- For the filling:
- 2 Onions, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 375g Beef Skirt, roughly chopped into cubes
- 340g Potatoes, peeled and diced
- 240g Swede, peeled and diced
- Salt and Pepper
- For the pastry, sift the flour and salt into a bowl, then grate in the lard and butter straight from the freezer.
- Gently mix through the flour and stir in enough cold water to bring the mixture together to make firm dough.
- Knead briefly and form into a smooth ball. Wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 350°F / Gas 4.
- For the filling, combine the beef with the potatoes, swede, onion, vegetable oil, a little salt and black pepper.
- Cut the pastry into 6 even sized pieces. Roll out each piece until it is large enough to cut out a 20cm circle.
- Divide the beef and vegetable mixture between the 6 pastry circles, piling it along the middle of the pastry.
- Brush the rim of the pastry with beaten egg. Bring up the pastry from either side to meet in the middle and pinch together to make a scalloped edge down the centre.
- Make 2 slits with a sharp knife so that steam can escape through the pastry during cooking.
- Place on a baking sheet and brush with beaten egg. Bake for 35 – 40 minutes until the pastry is golden.
- The pasties are delicious served hot, straight from the oven.