Cottage pie for 2
Ingredients and Method
- 2 tbsp Olive or Vegetable Oil
- 400g Minced Beef
- 1 White Onion, finely chopped
- 1 Carrot, diced
- 1 Garlic Clove, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Tomato Puree
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tbsp Plain Flour
- 350ml Beef Stock
- For the gravy:
- 800g Floury Potatoes
- 100ml Milk
- 25g Butter
- 100g Cheese, grated
- Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a sauté pan, then season and fry the mince until browned and set aside.
- Add the rest of the oil to the pan and gently fry the garlic, onion and carrots until soft for around 15 minutes.
- Add the tomato puree and flour and cook for a few minutes more before returning the beef to the pan.
- Add the stock and Worcestershire sauce and bring to the boil before simmering and reducing down for about 40 minutes until the gravy is nice and thick.
- For the mash, bring the potatoes to the boil in salted water and simmer until soft. Drain them well and allow to dry for around 5 minutes. Add the milk, butter and half of the cheese to the potatoes and mash well, then season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the meat into the dish and flatten with the back of the spoon. Then spoon or pipe the mash over the top to cover the meat. Sprinkle on the remaining cheese.
- Place the dish on a flat tray in a pre-heated oven at 220°C/ 430°F / gas mark 7 and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the topping is golden.
- Serve hot with a side of vegetables.