Funfetti Vanilla Layer Cake
This light and fluffy funfetti cake covered in creamy vanilla buttercream is the perfect showstopper for all occasions.
Ingredients and Method
- 450g Self-raising flour
- 450g Butter, softened
- 450g Golden caster sugar
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 8 Eggs
- 150g Rainbow sprinkles, plus extra to decorate
- For the icing
- 1kg Icing sugar
- 500g Butter
- 3 tbsp Vanilla extract
- Heat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas mark 4. Grease and line four 20cm/8in tins or bake in two batches.
- To make the basic cake mixture, beat the butter and sugar together in a large mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
- Beat the eggs in a little at a time and stir in the vanilla extract. Fold in the flour until fully combined. Add the rainbow sprinkles and fold them through with a spatula.
- Divide the mixture evenly between 4 separate tins. This does not have to be exact, but you can weigh the filled tins if you want to check that they are even.
- Bake in the oven for 18-22 minutes, or until golden brown and the skewer comes out clean. Remove the cakes from the tin and leave to cool fully on a wire rack.
- For the icing, beat the butter until pale, light and fluffy. Then, slowly sift the icing sugar into the butter until fully combined. If the mixture is stiff, add a few drops of milk to loosen the buttercream.
- Spread a small amount of icing on your cake stand or plate. Place the first layer on to the cake stand and spread an even layer of icing to the edge.
- Finally, spread the remaining icing and rainbow sprinkles all over the sides and top of the cake till it is completely covered in buttercream and sprinkles. Make it festive and add a fun cake topper.