Hazelnut & White Chocolate Layer Cake
Ingredients and Method
- 250g Self raising flour
- 275g Unsalted butter
- 275g Caster sugar
- 5 Eggs
- 50g Chopped hazelnuts
- 50g Ground almonds
- 3 Gelatine sheets
- 700ml Double cream
- 300g White chocolate, cut into chunks
- 160g Plain flour
- 100g Unsalted butter
- 65g Caster sugar
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 Egg
- For the icing soak the gelatine in a bowl of cold water for a few minutes. Put 350g of the cream into the pan. Bring to boil then remove from heat. Take the gelatine out of the water and squeeze out as much water as possible. Add to cream, stirring until dissolved.
- Put the white chocolate into a food processor, while mixing add the hot cream slowly. Mix until smooth, place into a bowl, cover and leave to cool, chill for 30 minutes.
- Whisk the remaining cream, then fold into the chilled chocolate mixture, cover and chill for 3 hours.
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C / 350°F/ gas 4. Beat the sugar and butter until light, add each egg one at a time and beat well.
- Mix the hazelnuts and 100g flour in the food processor. Then fold this and the rest of the flour and almonds into the sponge mixture. Divide the mixture between 3 cake tins, put in the oven and bake for 30 minutes until golden or until skewer comes out clean.
- Leave sponges to cool on a wire rack. Once cool horizontally slice each cake into half to make six layers. Then using the icing mixture, layer each cake in between. Then cover all of cake, sides and top with the rest of the icing mixture.
- The cake can then be decorated with shortbread Christmas cookies, please see shortbread recipe.