Hot Chocolate Cupcakes
Ingredients and Method
- 200g All-purpose flour
- 75g Unsweetened cocoa powder
- 150g Granulated sugar
- 2 Large eggs
- 5 tbsp Vegetable oil
- 150ml Cup hot water
- 1 tsp Pure vanilla extract
- 150ml Whole milk
- 3/4 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 6 Large egg whites
- 250g Granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp Pure vanilla extract
- 1/2tsp Cream of tartar (optional)
- Mini marshmallows (to decorate)
- 50g Plain chocolate (to decorate)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line cupcake tray with 12 Mason Cash Silver Foil Cupcake Cases.
- In a heatproof bowl, combine the cocoa powder and hot water. Mix until the cocoa forms a paste and let cool.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs until light and fluffy. Add 150g of sugar, oil, vanilla extract and salt until well combined.
- Add the cocoa mixture to the egg mixture, then the milk and mix until fully combined.
- Fold the flour, baking powder and baking soda to the mixture until just incorporated.
- Pour the mixture into the cupcake cases and bake for 18-20 minutes or until the cupcakes have risen and a cake tester or toothpick comes out clean.
- To make the frosting: place 250g of sugar and cold water in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Boil until the sugar reached 115°C.
- Meanwhile, whisk the egg whites, vanilla extract and cream of tartar until they begin to form soft peaks.
- Once the sugar is ready. Slowly add to the egg whites and continually mix until the mixture forms stiff peaks.
- Place the mixture into a piping bag with a star nozzle. Pipe the sugar mixture onto the top of each cupcake. Top with marshmallows and melted chocolate.