Lemon Curd Victoria Sponge Cake
With a delicious lemon curd filling, this zesty twist on the traditional Victoria sponge cake is perfect for serving at your next afternoon tea.
Ingredients and Method
- 225g unsalted butter, softened
- 225g caster sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 225g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 lemon for zesting
- 6 tbsp lemon curd
- Fresh fruit of your choice
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C /Fan 160 °C/Gas mark 4. Grease two 20cm round tins and line with baking parchment.
- Add the butter, sugar, eggs, flour, baking powder and lemon zest into a S12 Mixing Bowl and whisk together until smooth.
- Divide the mixture between the two tins and bake for 25 – 30 minutes or until well risen. Remove the sponges from the oven and leave in the tins for 10 minutes, then place on wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cool, spread the lemon curd on the top of the first cake and then gently place the second cake on top. Add fresh fruit (we used strawberries, lemons and oranges) and freeze dried raspberries on top with a sprinkle of caster sugar.