Tarte & Berry's Lime Drizzle Cake
Ingredients and Method
- For the cake:
- 175g Unsalted Butter, at room temperature
- 175g Caster Sugar
- 175g Self-raising Flour, sifted
- 3 Medium Eggs
- Zest of 3 Limes
- 50g Desiccated Coconut
- Pinch of Salt
- For the drizzle:
- 100g Icing Sugar
- Juice of 3 limes, already zested
- For the frosting:
- 175g Full Fat Cream Cheese, at room temperature
- 30ml Coconut Cream
- 20g Icing Sugar, sifted
- 10g Desiccated Coconut
- Fine grating of Lime
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Fan 160°C/ Gas Mark 4. Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin with baking paper.
- Beat the butter and caster sugar until the mixture is fluffy and pale (approx. 3 to 5 minutes).
- Once very fluffy add the eggs, one at a time. Then sift the flour in 3 batches into the mixture and beat gently until smooth, on a low speed if using an electric mixer. Gently stir in the desiccated coconut and the pinch of salt. Add a drop of milk if needed to achieve the right consistency; the mixture is right when it falls off the back of your spatula.
- Pour the mixture evenly into the prepared tin. Smooth out with the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, to make the lime drizzle, sift the icing sugar into a bowl, stir in the lime juice and set aside.
- To make the frosting, gently mix the coconut cream, cream cheese and icing sugar and refrigerate (cover the bowl with clingfilm). TIP: Don’t over beat the frosting or it will loosen and be difficult to spread on the top of the cake. You only need to very gently mix the cream cheese, coconut cream and icing sugar together, by hand, until they are just combined.
- Remove the cake from the oven and make little holes in the surface with a cocktail stick. Spoon over the lime drizzle whilst the cake is still warm and leave to cool.
- When the cake has fully cooled, remove from the tin and spread the frosting over the top with a pallet knife. Sprinkle with the desiccated coconut and lime zest, if you wish.