Meat & Potato Pie
Ingredients and Method
- 2 Large Onions, chopped
- 700g Braising Steak, cut into 4-5cm chunks
- 400g Charlotte Potatoes, peeled and cut into 4cm chunks
- 400g Desiree Potatoes, peeled and cut into 4cm chunks
- Handful of Peppercorns
- 800g Shortcrust Pastry
- 1 Egg, beaten
- To make the filling, place the onions and steak in a large pan. Add enough water to just cover them and bring to a simmer. Cover with a lid, reduce the heat and simmer for 1 ½ hours.
- Add the potatoes and peppercorns to the pan and cook for 30-35minutes or until the potatoes are soft and the meat tender.
- Pour off 300ml of the liquid from the pan and save this to use as gravy. Transfer the filling to a cool dish and leave to cool completely. Pre-heat the oven to 200°C/400°F/ Gas mark 6
- Dust a clean surface and a rolling pin with some flour and roll out your pastry till it’s roughly double the size of your dish. Cut off enough pastry for the lid and set aside.
- Place your remaining pastry into the dish and add the cooled meat and potato filling and spread it out evenly.
- Lay your pastry lid on top and crimp the sides of the dish, sealing the edges with milk.
- Add a pinch of salt to your beaten egg and brush over the top of your pastry.
- Place in the oven for 35-40 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown.
- Leave to stand for 10-15 minutes before serving.