Millionaire’s Caramel Shortbread
Millionaire’s shortbread is a baking classic with a shortbread biscuit base, topped with sweet caramel and chocolate. This is a treat that everyone will love.
Ingredients and Method
- For the shortbread
- 250g plain flour
- 75g caster sugar
- 175g butter, softened
- For the caramel
- 100g butter
- 100g light muscovado sugar
- 397g can condensed milk
- For the topping
- 200g plain or milk chocolate, broken into pieces
- Heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4 and lightly grease and line a 24cm square or rectangular baking tin.
- For the shortbread, mix the plain flour and caster sugar in a mixing bowl. Rub in the softened butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Knead the mixture together until it forms a dough, then press into the base of your tin.
- Pierce the shortbread lightly with a fork and bake for 20 minutes or until firm to the touch and lightly browned. Leave to cool.
- For the caramel, mix the butter, sugar and condensed milk in a pan and heat gently until the sugar has dissolved. Stir the mixture to make sure no sugar sticks to the bottom of the pan.
- Turn up the heat to medium high and bring to the boil, make sure to stir the mixture. Lower the heat back to low and keep stirring for about 5-10 minutes or until the mixture has thickened slightly. Pour over the shortbread and leave to cool.
- For the topping, melt the milk chocolate slowly in a bowl over a pan of hot water. Pour over the cold caramel and leave to set. Cut into squares or bars and serve.