Owl Shortbread Biscuits
Ingredients and Method
- 125g Unsalted butter
- 55g Caster sugar
- 180g Plain flour
- 1 tsp Vanilla essence
- 6 Almonds cut in half lengthways
- 24 Milk chocolate chips
- Small bar of white chocolate
- Heat the oven to 190C/ 375F/ Gas 5.
- In a Mason Cash Mixing Bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth then add in the vanilla essence.
- Sieve the flour into the bowl and stir into the butter mixture until dough starts to form. Place the dough on a lightly floured work surface and roll out until it is roughly 1cm thick.
- Using a round cookie cutter, cut out 12 circles and place on a greaseproof paper lined baking tray. Use the edge of the cookie cutter to make the outline of the owl’s wings and use a fork to imprint the shape of the owl’s feet.
- Chill in the fridge for 15 minutes before placing in the oven and baking for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
- Leave to cool for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Break up the white chocolate bar into pieces and place in a microwave safe bowl. Heat in the microwave for 10 seconds at a time until the chocolate starts to melt. Stir well.
- Using the end of a teaspoon, take a small amount of melted chocolate and smear onto the back of each of the white chocolate buttons. Carefully place two chocolate buttons on each of the shortbreads (for the owl’s eyes).
- Repeat step 8 with the milk chocolate chips, placing each one in the centre of the white chocolate buttons.
- Attach the almond halves to the biscuits (for the owl’s beaks) also using the melted chocolate.
- Leave to set for 30 minutes before serving.