Ingredients and Method
- 2 1/2 cups Canned Pumpkin
- 2 Large Eggs
- 2 Large Egg Yokes
- 1 1/4 cups Half and Half, half whole milk and half heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 1/2 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1 tsp Ground Cloves
- 2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 pack Ready-roll Shortcrust Pastry
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas mark 6.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface to about 3mm / 1/8 inch thick and 3cm / 1 inch larger than the pie dish.
- Cut off a strip and press this on to the edge of the dish. Chill the pastry for 20 minutes in the fridge.
- Prick the bottom of the pastry with a fork and blind bake it for 16-20 minutes, until the edges are golden. Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- Meanwhile, blend remaining ingredients (except sugar for caramelizing) in a large bowl. Pour the custard mixture into the prepared pie dish.
- Place the pie back in the oven for 30 minutes until the custard is set and slightly puffed at the edges. Cool for 1 hour, then chill for at least 2 hours.
- Before serving, sprinkle the top of the pie generously with sugar. Then, either place the pie under a grill until the sugar melts and turns golden brown or use a blowtorch.