Rudolf Carrot Cake
Ingredients and Method
- 300g Self-raising Flour
- 175g Brown Sugar
- 4 Eggs
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 200ml Sunflower Oil
- 2 1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 3 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 3 Carrots, grated
- 50g Toasted Pine Nuts
- For the icing:
- 400g Full Fat Cream Cheese
- 50ml Double Cream
- 70g Icing Sugar
- 100g Chocolate Icing, for eyes and antlers
- Glacé Cherries Red Fondant Icing, for nose
- For the carrot cake pre-heat oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4. Grease and line two 26cm spring-form cake tins.
- Mix all the ingredients for the carrot cake, except the nuts and carrots, together in a mixing bowl (a size 12 mixing bowl is the best size here) until combined. Once combined, stir in the nuts and carrots.
- Divide the mixture between the two cake tins and bake for 40 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean. Remove the cake from the oven and leave to cool for 15 minutes before removing from the tins and placing on a cooling rack.
- For the icing, beat the cream cheese and double cream together and add the icing sugar gradually until the mixture is smooth.
- Once the cake has cooled, layer a third of the icing onto the first cake and spread evenly with a spatula before placing the second cake on top. Add the rest of the icing on top of the cake and spread it out evenly.
- You can create chocolate antlers out of cookies, chocolate or icing. Here we have used chocolate. You can use as much or as little as you like. We used 100g. To find out how to melt and temper chocolate click here.
- Once tempered, pour and shape the chocolate into antler and eye shapes onto a cold, smooth surface and allow to harden naturally. Remove carefully and place them on top of the cake. Use a glacé cherry or red fondant icing for the nose.