Seeded Wholemeal Bread
Ingredients and Method
- 500g Wholemeal Bread Flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 7g satchet Fast Action Yeast
- 50g Sunflower Seeds
- 50g Pumpkin Seeds
- 25g Poppy Seeds
- 400ml Lukewarm Water
- Mix the flour, salt, yeast and butter together in a large Mason Cash Mixing Bowl.
- Add the water to the bowl and mix in well with your hands using a pincer movement to squeeze the liquid into the flour until the bowl is quite clean.
- Empty the mixture onto a floured surface and knead for around 5 minutes, then add the seeds. Continue to knead for another 5 minutes until the dough is smooth and springs back when you press a fingertip onto it.
- Shape the dough into a ball, place it into a mixing bowl lightly greased with olive or sunflower oil. Cover with cling film and leave it to prove for around an hour until it has doubled in size
- Once proved, knock the dough back by bashing the air out of it with a fist, then reshape into a ball or oval (feel free to lighly oil the top of the dough and press extra seeds into it).
- Preheat your oven to 220°C, then place the shaped dough onto a floured, seasoned Mason Cash terracotta baking stone and cover with a tea towel. Allow the dough to rise again for around an hour, slash a cross into the surface.
- Bake for around 30 minutes until browned. The loaf should sound hollow when tapped on the base. Allow to cool on a wire rack before serving.