Granny Mason's Shortcrust Pastry
Ingredients and Method
- 200g Plain Flour
- 50g Unsalted Butter
- 3 tbsp Water, to mix
- 50g Lard
- Pinch of Salt
- Sift your flour and then mix with the salt in a bowl.
- Cut the fat and butter into cubes and add to the flour. Use your fingertips to rub the fat into the flour until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the water very gradually, stirring it in with a knife.
- When the dough begins to stick together, knead it lightly until it forms a ball.
- Wrap in cling film and allow to rest for at least 15 minutes in the fridge.
- The pastry can be left in the fridge for up to 2 days or alternatively it can be frozen until ready to use.