Spiced Apple Bread & Butter Pudding
Ingredients and Method
- 2 Apples, peeled and chopped into bitesize pieces
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 50g Demerara sugar
- 20 slices (about 1 ½ loaves) Fruit bread
- 2 Eggs
- 350ml Milk
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 1 Apple, thinly sliced
- First make the spiced apple compote. Add a knob of butter and the sugar to the pan. Once melted add the apple and cinnamon, continue to cook until apple is soft, but still has bite. Pour this compote on the bottom of the dish.
- Spread each piece of fruit bread with butter and cut in half so you have triangles. Lay these in two rows on top of the compote alternating between the buttered bread and a thin slice of apple.
- In a large jug or batter bowl whisk together the eggs, milk and sugar then pour over the apple and bread in the dish. Let this soak for 30 minutes while you let the oven warm to 180°C (fan)/ 200°C.
- When the pudding is ready, bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes until the custard is set.