Vegan Lemon Cupcakes
Ingredients and Method
- For the cupcakes
- 250ml soya milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar or lemon juice or white wine vinegar
- 150g caster sugar
- 125ml sunflower oil
- A zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 175g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- For the buttercream
- 550g icing sugar sifted
- 75g dairy free butter
- 3 tbsp lemon juice freshly squeezed
- For the cupcakes, Preheat oven to 190°C. You will need a baking muffin tray that holds 12 cupcakes and 12 cupcake cases.
- Make buttermilk using the soya milk and stirring in the cider vinegar or the juice of 1 lemon. Leave to set for 3 minutes, this will curdle but don't worry this is fine.
- Add sugar, oil beat until well dissolved. Sift in the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Gradually stir in the dry ingredients into the wet mixture until well combined and no lumps. Add the lemon zest and stir in well.
- Pour batter into the cup cake cases 3/4 full. Bake for 15 minutes until the skewer comes out clean.
- Once baked, leave to cool down before taking out of the tray and piping the buttercream.
- For the buttercream, beat butter until soft and creamy, gradually sift in small amounts of icing sugar at a time and add lemon juice, beat well until pale and creamy. You will need a thick consistency to be able to pipe on to the cupcakes.
- Use a spatula to place your delicious lemon zest buttercream into a piping bag. Have a piping nozzle ready to pipe your favourite swirl design on your cupcakes with and top with some sprinkles. Remember to check that these are vegan too.