Victoria Sandwich Cake
Ingredients and Method
- 225g Softened Butter
- 150g Golden Caster Sugar
- 150g Self-raising Flour
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 4 Eggs, beaten
- For the topping:
- 300ml Double Cream
- 50g Icing Sugar
- Strawberry Jam
- Heat the oven to 180°c/ 350°f / Gas mark 4 and grease and line 2 x 20cm/8in sandwich tins.
- Beat the butter and sugar together in a large mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
- Beat the eggs in a little at a time and stir in the vanilla extract. Fold in the flour until fully combined.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the tins. This does not have to be exact, but you can weigh the filled tins if you want to check that they are even.
- Bake in the oven for 18-22 minutes, or until golden brown and a skewer inserted in to one of the cakes comes out clean. Remove the cakes from the tin and leave to cool fully on a wire rack.
- For the cream topping, whisk the cream until it begins to thicken. Slowly add the icing sugar and continue to whisk until the cream forms stiff peaks.
- To assemble, place one cake upside down on a plate and spread with the strawberry jam. Then, using a piping bag, pipe the cream topping on top of the jam. Top with the second cake and sprinkle with icing sugar.