O'Neill's Apple, Raspberry & Blackberry Pie
Ingredients and Method
- 800g Shortcrust Pastry
- 2 shots of Brandy
- 25g Butter
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 325g Caster Sugar
- 350g Fresh Raspberries
- 350g Fresh Blackberries
- 700g Dessert Apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- Handful of Blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 200°C / 400°F / Gas mark 6.
- Heat the butter in a large saucepan, add the cinnamon, 300g / 10oz of the sugar, the brandy and half of the blackberries and raspberries and simmer for about 10 minutes until the fruit is soft. Mash with a potato masher to make a thick sauce.
- Mix the apples, blueberries and remaining blackberries and raspberries together and place them in a pie dish then pour over the berry sauce.
- Roll out the shortcrust pastry on a lightly floured surface to about 3mm / 1/8 inch thick and 3cm / 1 inch larger than the pie dish.
- Cut off a strip and press this on to the edge of the dish. Make the lattice by rolling out the rest of your pastry mixture and cut into equal strips. Weave the strips as shown in the picture.
- Trim away any excess pastry, brush the top with milk to glaze and sprinkle with the remaining caster sugar.
- Bake for 30 minutes until the pastry is golden and the filling bubbling. Leave to stand for 10-15 minutes before serving.