Apple & Summer Fruit Pie
Ingredients and Method
- For the filling:
- 8 Bramley Apples, peeled, cored and roughly sliced
- 150g Granulated Sugar
- 500g Frozen Summer Berries
- For the pastry:
- 340g Plain Flour
- 170g Cold Butter, diced
- 40g Caster Sugar
- 1 Egg Yolk
- A jug of Cold Water
- Put the sliced apples in a large saucepan over a medium heat with a splash of water. Stir often until the apples start to soften around the edges and makes a bit of a sauce, but still maintaining its shape.
- Take off the heat and stir in the sugar before adding the summer fruits and returning to the heat.
- Heat for around 5 minutes more until the fruit starts to soften and form a bit of a sauce. Take off the heat and allow to cool.
- Pre-heat the oven to 190C.
- To make the pastry, tip the flour into a size 12 Mason cash bowl, add the butter and sugar and blend together with your fingertips until the mix resembles bread crumbs.
- Add the egg yolk and slowly add a teaspoon of water at a time until you can bring it all together to form a firm dough (not sticky).
- Grease the pie dish with some butter before rolling the pastry out to a thickness of around 4mm.
- Line the pie dish with the pastry, brushing around the edges of the rim with water before filling the dish with the filling.
- Trim the excess pastry off with a sharp knife and use the pastry to cut out leaf shapes. Press the leaves onto the edge of the pie and use any more to make beautiful patterns on the filling.
- Bake for around 35 minutes until golden brown. Serve hot or cold with cream or ice cream.