Ingredients and Method
- For the pastry:
- 200g Plain Flour
- 100g Unsalted Butter
- 3 tbsp Water
- For the filling:
- 2 tbsp Raspberry Jam
- 125g Butter
- 125g Caster Sugar
- 125g Ground Almonds
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 1 tsp Almond Extract
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- Handful of Raspberries and Flaked Almonds, to decorate
- To make the pastry - Sift your flour and then mix with the salt in a bowl. Cut the butter into cubes and add to the flour. Use your fingertips to rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Then add the water very gradually, stirring it in with a knife. When the dough begins to stick together, knead it lightly until it forms a ball. Wrap in cling film and allow to rest for at least 15 minutes in the fridge.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured work surface and line a 24cm flan tin. Leave in the fridge to chill for a further 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200c/400f/Gas 6. Line the pastry case with baking parchmentand baking bean, then blind bake for about 15 minutes. Remove the beans and foil from the tart and cook for a further 5 minutes until the pastry is crisp.
- Whilst the pastry is still warm spread the base of the flan generously with raspberry jam. The heat from the pastry helps to spread the jam more easily.
- Melt the butter in a pan, take off the heat and then stir in the sugar. Add ground almonds, egg and almond extract. Pour the mixture into a flan tin and place in the oven to bake for 35 minutes.
- Whilst the tart is baking add the flaked almonds to a non-stick frying pan and cook on a low heat until they are lightly browned. Be careful as they will burn very quickly!
- To decorate with raspberry flowers, place the raspberries around the flan dish and add the flaked almonds around the raspberry to resemble a flower. Then, sprinkle with icing sugar.