Carrot and Courgette Bread
Ingredients and Method
- 200g strong white bread flour
- 300g strong wholemeal bread flour
- 350ml water at room temperature
- 7g sachet fast action yeast
- 1 medium courgette, grated
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- A couple of handfuls of walnuts, roughly chopped
- Pinch of salt
- Mix the flours together in a size 12 Mixing Bowl. Add the salt and yeast and mix again. Create a well in the centre of the bowl and gradually pour in the water to form a rough dough.
- Tip the dough mixture onto a work surface or pastry board and knead for approximately 10 minutes or until quite smooth and springy.
- Clean, then lightly grease the mixing bowl before placing the dough back into the bowl. Cover the bowl with cling film or the Mason Cash proving lid for a more eco-friendly option and allow the dough to rise until double in size for around 1 hour.
- Once risen, tip the dough back onto the work surface and knock the air out of it, before adding the carrot, courgette and nuts and working these ingredients evenly into the dough. Once combined, shape the dough into whatever shape you desire, place on a baking stone, baking tray or in a bread form and allow to rise again for around an hour until it doubles in size. Cover with seeds or flour if you like.
- Preheat your oven to 220°C and bake for around 25 to 30 minutes or until browned and it sound hollow when you tap the base.