Cherry Frangipane Pie
Ingredients and Method
- For the pastry:
- 200g Homepride Plain Flour
- 100g Cold Butter, cubed
- 50ml Water
- 1g Salt
- 25g Caster Sugar
- 1 Egg Yolk
- For the filling:
- 300g Cherries, fresh or preserved
- For the frangipane:
- 100g Butter
- 80g Caster Sugar
- 100g Ground Almonds
- 2 Medium Eggs
- 20g Plain Flour
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
- Make the pastry first by adding the butter and flour to your Mason Cash Mixing Bowl. Using your fingertips, rub together the butter and flour until it looks like bread crumbs.
- To the same bowl, add the water, salt, sugar and egg yolk then mix, bringing the ingredients together to form a dough.
- Knead lightly and form into a ball.
- Wrap in cling film and refrigerate for an hour or two.
- Next, prepare the cherries by halving and removing the stones. Set aside in a bowl to use later.
- Whilst the pastry is resting and chilling, make the frangipane. In another Mason Cash Mixing Bowl, cream together the butter and sugar using a Mason Cash Innovative Kitchen Spoon until light and fluffy.
- Add the almond, egg and flour and fold carefully until combined. Cover and set aside.
- To make the case, remove the pastry from the fridge and lightly flour a work surface to roll out the pastry, until it’s about the same thickness as a £1 coin.
- Using your rolling pin (try our Mason Cash Innovative Kitchen Roller Shaker) as a support, transfer the pastry to the dish and line, making sure you lightly press into the corners.
- With a sharp knife, neatly trim the excess pastry from around the edges. Using a fork, prick the bottom of the pastry lining.
- Scrunch up some greaseproof paper (enough to line your dish) and place over the pastry in your dish. Fill with ceramic baking beans or dried beans.
- Place in the oven to blind bake for 20 minutes.
- Once blind baked, remove the baking beans and paper. Reduce the oven temperature to 170˚C.
- Fill the pastry case with a layer of frangipane then push the cherries into it.
- Place the pie into the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven and leave to cool in its dish, then slice, serve and enjoy! Top Tip: Why not serve with some clotted or whipped cream and a few fresh cherries on the side, yummy.