Mustard Chicken, Mushroom & Leek Pie
Ingredients and Method
- For the pastry:
- 200g Plain Flour
- Pinch of Salt
- 110g Butter, cubed
- 2-3 tbsp Cold Water
- 1 Egg, beaten for glaze
- For the filling:
- 3 tbsp Vegetable or Olive Oil
- 350g Chicken Breast, skinless and boneless
- 2 Medium Leeks, finely sliced
- 110g Baby Button Mushrooms
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1 tbsp Flour
- 500ml Hot Chicken Stock
- 3 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 4 tbsp Crème Fraiche
- 1 tbsp Flat Leaf Parsley, chopped
- 1/2 tsp Fresh Thyme
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 Egg, beaten for glaze
- Heat the oven to 200°C/ 390°F /Gas 6. Place a baking sheet on the middle shelf.
- Sieve flour into a bowl or food processor. Add butter and process for 30 seconds or hand blend with fingertips until you have a fine breadcrumb consistency. Add 2 tbsp cold water and turn on the processor or knead together. Slowly trickle in about half tbsp of water until pastry comes together in a ball. Take pastry out and shape into a ball. Wrap in cling film & refrigerate for 30 minutes then cut the pastry in half.
- Roll out the pastry and line a 24cm buttered pie dish. Refrigerate for another 20 minutes.
- Prick the base all over with fork. Line with grease-proof paper and fill with baking beans. Bake on an oven tray for 15 mins.
- Remove from the oven and take out the baking beans. Brush the base with beaten egg and return to the oven for 5 mins.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet or deep frying pan. Add the chicken and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until the chicken is browned all over. To the pan add the finely sliced leek and the baby button mushrooms. Cook for 3 minutes stirring occasionally until the leeks are softened. Remove the chicken, leeks & mushrooms with a slotted spoon.
- Add the butter to the pan and melt over a medium heat, add the flour and stir well to incorporate all the flour into the butter. Slowly add the hot chicken stock, whisking all the time. Simmer for a further 3 minutes.
- Add the mustard, crème fraiche, parsley & thyme to the pan and gently stir until everything is incorporated. Add the chicken, leek & mushroom mixture and stir gently. Season generously with sea salt and black pepper. Cook for a further 2 minutes then put to one side to cool completely for a few minutes.
- Fill the pie dish with the filling. Roll the remaining pastry to make a lid for the pie. Using a pastry brush, dampen the edges of the pastry lining with beaten egg, then cover with the pastry lid and crimp the edges to seal. Brush generously with beaten egg.
- Using a sharp knife cut a small hole into the centre of the lid to allow the steam to escape during cooking. Place the pie dish in a fridge for around 20 minutes.
- Sit the pie dish onto a heated baking sheet in the oven and bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown and the filling bubbling. Serve hot or leave to cool completely if serving cold.