Ingredients and Method
- 50g Butter, plus an extra knob for greasing
- 1 Red Onion, medium sized
- 2 Red or Green Chillies, finely chopped, plus extra for sprinkling
- 250g Cornmeal (make sure it is yellow cornmeal, not white)
- 140g Plain Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tbsp Caster Sugar
- 570ml Buttermilk (or 570ml semi-skimmed milk with a squeeze of lemon juice)
- 2 Medium Eggs
- Good pinch of Salt
- Preheat the oven to 230°C (210°C fan). Melt the butter in a pan and fry the onion and chopped chillies in it on a low to medium heat until softened. Grease a 23cm cake tin with the additional butter.
- Tip the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and sugar into a Size 12 or Size 18 mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl or batter bowl whisk together the buttermilk and eggs until combined and stir in the onions.
- Pour the wet mixture over the dry mixture and mix together until just combined into a batter. Add some sliced chillies if you wish by sprinkling on the top of the mixture at this stage.
- Pour the mixture into the cake tin and bake for around half an hour or until golden brown. You’ll know when it’s ready when a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre of the loaf.
- Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before cutting into wedges and serving.