Chocolate & Cherry Mug Cake
This sugar-free Chocolate and Cherry Mug Cake is easy to follow and a great dessert for smaller portions. Enjoy it on its own, dust with icing sugar or whipped cream for added flavour.
Ingredients and Method
- 200g dark chocolate, chopped into small chunks (best with a high percentage of cocoa solids, so we use 70%)
- 200g unsalted butter, chilled and cubed, plus extra for greasing
- 4 large eggs
- 4 egg yolks
- 200g maple syrup
- 150g cherries, halved and pitted
- Preheat your oven to 200°C and grease your mugs or ramekins with butter.
- Melt the butter chocolate in a glass bowl over a bain-marie, stirring with a spatula ensuring all is combined and smooth. Allow it to cool for 10 minutes or so.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs and yolks together for a couple of minutes until thick and pale. Sift in the flour and fold gently with a metal spoon before folding in the maple syrup.
- Add the chocolate to the mixture and fold gently together until combined and fully incorporated until smooth.
- Pour the mixture evenly into the mugs or ramekins before adding the cherries. Poke the cherries to different depths into the mugs for an even distribution.
- Chill in the fridge for around half an hour before baking on a baking tray for around 20 minutes in mugs or 12 minutes in ramekins (until the tops will have formed a hard crust).