Chocolate Fudge Cake
Ingredients and Method
- 250g Self-raising Flour
- 250g Unsalted Butter
- 250g Muscovado Sugar
- 250g Dark Chocolate
- 50g Cocoa Powder
- 4 Large Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Chocolate Treats, for topping
- For the buttercream:
- 200g Icing Sugar
- 200g Unsalted Butter
- 200g Dark Chocolate
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas mark 4. You will need 2 x deep 20cm spring-form cake tins lined with baking paper.
- To start the cake mix, stir together the flour and cocoa in a bowl.
- Melt the chocolate, sugar and butter with 100ml water in a pan until smooth.
- When the heated mixture has cooled, transfer to a mixing bowl and whisk in the eggs one by one until combined, then add the vanilla extract. Slowly whisk the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until fully combined.
- Divide the batter between the cake tins and bake for 30 minutes or until a skewer poked into the middle comes out clean. It may crack a little on top but this will be covered by the icing. Leave to cool.
- To make the buttercream, use an electric whisk to mix together the icing sugar and butter for 5 minutes or until light and fluffy. Mix in the melted chocolate until smooth and the buttercream becomes spreadable.
- With a spatula put a thick layer of buttercream on top of one of the cakes, then sandwich the other sponge on top. Spread another thick layer on top and use the rest to cover the sides.
- To decorate the top of cake, use as many sweet treats as you like. Leave to set in the fridge for 20 minutes.