Chocolate Indulgence Cake
A true showstopper, our chocolate indulgence cake has four layers of chocolate cake filled with delicious chocolate buttercream and is topped with creamy white chocolate ganache.
Ingredients and Method
- For the cake:
- 440g Unsalted Butter, at room temperature
- 440g Caster Sugar
- 440g Self-raising Flour
- 8 Eggs
- 80g Cocoa Powder
- Boiling Water
- For the buttercream:
- 750g Unsalted Butter, at room temperature
- 1kg Icing Sugar
- 50g Cocoa Powder
- For the ganache:
- 200g White Chocolate
- 100ml Double Cream
- For the decoration:
- 100g White Chocolate, melted for the chocolate sail
- Mixture of Chocolate bars, biscuits, brownies etc
- For the chocolate sail, pour melted chocolate onto baking parchment, when the mixture has slightly cooled and is no longer runny, put the baking parchment in a bowl to create the sail shape. Pop the bowl in the freezer and leave until your cake is completed.
- In an electric mixer put in all of the ingredients for the cake except the cocoa powder & boiling water, mix until totally blended & smooth.
- In a separate bowl mix the cocoa powder with a few tablespoons of boiling water and mix – you want a fairly thick, smooth paste.
- Pour cocoa powder paste into the mixture and mix until blended.
- Divide the mixture across four greased 10” cake tins.
- Bake in the oven on 120°C (248°F) for 20 mins or until you can stick a cocktail stick in the centre and it comes out clean. Put these aside to cool.
- Using your electric mixer, beat the butter on a medium speed until it’s pale and fluffy. Slowly add the icing sugar and cocoa powder until blended and smooth.
- Stack your cakes with a good thick layer of buttercream between each layer, it’s easiest to do this on a cake board & using a cake turntable. Using a palette knife cover the outside of the cake stack with a thick layer of buttercream. Finish the edges using a cake scraper to get a nice smooth finish. Pop your cake in the fridge.
- Heat 50ml (1 3/8 fl oz) of double cream in the microwave until boiling, be careful the cream doesn’t overflow in the jug. Add in 100g (3.5 oz) of chopped white chocolate and stir until the chocolate melts. You want the ganache to have a nice thick consistency but so it will easily pour. Use the remaining cream to loosen the mixture or add more chocolate to thicken up.
- Pour the ganache over the top of the cake and gently use a spoon to create the drip effect over the edge. Pop in the fridge to allow the ganache to set.
- Top the cake with your favourite chocolate goodies – brownies, cookies, chocolate bars etc.
- Finally place the sail on the top once this is set and enjoy!