Family Fish Pie
Ingredients and Method
- 100g Butter
- 50g Plain Flour
- 750ml Milk
- 150g Frozen Peas
- 1 Small Onion, quartered
- 4 Cloves
- 4 Bay Leaves
- 250g Cod
- 250g King Prawns
- 1 kg Floury Potatoes
- 50g Cheese, grated
- Bunch of Parsley, chopped
- Place the fish and prawns in a large frying pan and pour in 500ml of the milk. Stud each onion quarter with a clove and place in the pan with the bay leaves.
- Bring the milk to the boil, then reduce the heat to simmer for around 8 minutes to poach the fish.
- Lift the fish out of the pan onto a plate and strain the milk into a jug to cool, discarding the onion, cloves and bay leaves.
- Flake the fish into large pieces in the baking dish, mix in the frozen peas and sprinkle over half of the chopped parsley.
- To make the fish sauce. Melt half of the butter on a medium heat in a pan and stir in the flour continuing to stir for about a minute. Take off the heat and pour in a little of the cold poaching milk. Keep adding and stirring until blended and you have a smooth sauce. Return the sauce to the heat and bring it to the boil, stirring continually until it coats the back of a spoon. Season with salt and pepper and pour over the fish.
- For the mash, bring the potatoes to the boil in salted water and simmer until soft. Drain them well and allow to dry for around 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining 250ml of milk and remaining 50g of butter and mash well before seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Spoon or pipe the mash over the top to cover the fish, scraping it flat and fluffy to the edges with a fork. Sprinkle on the cheese.
- Place the dish on a flat tray in a pre-heated oven at 200°c/ 390°f / Gas Mark 6 and bake for 30 minutes, or until the topping is golden.
- Once baked, sprinkle on the remaining parsley and serve hot