Gluten-free Victoria Sponge Cake
Ingredients and Method
- 200g caster sugar
- 200g softened butter
- 200g self raising gluten free flour
- 4 eggs beaten
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp gluten free baking powder
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract for the sponge if desired
- 140g icing sugar sifted
- 100g butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- A good strawberry jam or conserve
- For the sponge, preheat oven to 190°C then grease and line two 20cm cake tins.
- Beat caster sugar and butter together until pale, light and fluffy, then add vanilla extract.
- Gradually pour half the beaten egg into the mixture.
- Sift dry ingredients, flour, baking powder and xanthan gum. (This holds the flour together to prevent the sponge from crumbling)
- Alternate adding dry ingredients with the beaten egg mixture until well combined.
- Divide mixture into baking tins, give the tins a bang on the work surface to even out the mixture and release any air bubbles.
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown and the skewer comes out clean. The cake should spring back when pressed. Take out of tins to avoid sponges shrinking
- For the filling, beat butter until soft and creamy then gradually add sifted icing sugar in small amounts and beat well together until all added. Add in the vanilla extract and beat again.
- Spread the buttercream on the bottom layer then add the strawberry jam. You can then sift some icing sugar on the top of the cake and decorate with strawberries if desired.