Hot Cross Doughnuts
Ingredients and Method
- 420g Plain Flour
- 60g Unsalted Butter
- 50g Caster Sugar
- 1 tsp Mixed Spices
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 10g Dry Yeast
- 1 Egg
- 200ml Warm Water
- 64g Raisins or Chocolate Chips
- Oil, for deep frying
- Extra Caster Sugar, for dusting the base
- Apricot Jam, to coat the top
- Icing Sugar, for cross
- Rub the butter into the flour and mix in the sugar, spices and fruit/chocolate chips.
- Add yeast and mix.
- Beat the egg and warm water together and add to the dough.
- Mix to form a soft dough and knead for 5 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Divide and roll into 24 balls.
- Cover and allow to rise until doubled in size.
- Heat a large pan of oil to 180°C and fry the doughnuts until golden and puffed.
- Remove from oil and dust base with caster sugar and top coat with apricot jam.
- Mix the icing sugar and pipe a cross on top of each doughnut.
- Leave icing to set before serving