Lemon & Pistachio Shortbread Cookies
Ingredients and Method
- 125g Butter
- 180g Plain flour
- 1 tsp Lemon zest
- 2 drops of Lemon essence
- 65g Caster sugar
- 200g Icing sugar
- A handful of Pistachio nuts (chopped)
- A handful of Poppy seeds
- Pre heat the oven to 150°C. Mix the butter and sugar until light and fluffy and then add your lemon zest (or essence) and combine.
- Sift the flour and using your hands, bring the mixture together to create dough, sprinkling in a small handful of poppy seeds as you combine for texture.
- Lightly flour a surface and roll your dough out evenly until you have the dough around 5mm in thickness. Then take your cookie cutter of choice and create your cookie! Once cut, line your cookies onto a greased baking tray.
- Finally, sprinkle with sugar and bake for around 12-15 minutes. Once cooked, allow to cool for a further 10 minutes.
- Sift the icing sugar into a mixing bowl and stir in enough water to create a smooth mixture. Dip one half of each cookie into the icing and leave to set for a couple of minutes before sprinkling with pistachio chunks (pre chopped) and a light dusting of caster sugar. Now they’re ready to share!