Low Calorie Healthy Apple Crumble
Ingredients and Method
- 1 1/2 tbsp Sugar
- 3/4 tsp Lemon juice
- 3 sticks Cinnamon
- 3 cups Sliced apples, with the skin
- 12 tbsp Quick cooking rolled oats
- 6 tbsp Wheat bran
- 6 tbsp Chopped almonds
- 6 tbsp Chopped walnuts
- 6 tbsp Raisins
- 1 1/2 tbsp Cinnamon powder
- 3/4 tsp Vanilla essence
- Combine the sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon sticks and ½ cup of water in a non-stick pan, mix well and bring to a boil.
- Add the apples and simmer until soft. Carefully remove the cinnamon sticks and put the mixture to one side.
- Combine the oats, wheat bran, almonds and walnuts and lightly roast them on a nonstick pan on a slow flame for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Cool completely, add the raisins, cinnamon powder and vanilla essence and mix well.
- Lightly crush the mixture and keep aside.
- Place the stewed apple slices evenly on a greased baking tray or oven dish and sprinkle the crushed muesli on top.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180°c (360°f) for 5 minutes or until the muesli turns golden brown in colour. Serve immediately with low fat custard.