Ingredients and Method
- 500g Yellow split peas
- 2 tbsp Vegetable oil
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 tbsp Malt vinegar
- 1500ml Vegetable or chicken stock
- Wash the peas and place into a medium sized mixing bowl then cover the peas with water and leave overnight.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and gently fry the onion on a low heat until soft.
- Drain the peas and add to a sauté pan with the bay leaf and cover with about a litre of the stock. Bring to the boil and then simmer for around 2hours or until the peas are soft, adding the remaining stock when needed.
- Remove the bay leaf before blitzing it in a blender until slightly smooth. Stir in the vinegar, season and serve with gammon steak.
- Top Tip: We added parched peas to the dish – these are made by simply soaking the peas in water overnight then simmering for a couple of hours and adding a couple of tablespoons of malt vinegar.