Raspberry, Blackberry and Apple Flapjacks
Ingredients and Method
- 100g Blackberries, rinsed
- 50g Raspberries, rinsed
- 50g Caster Sugar
- 360g Unsalted Butter
- 350g Demerara Sugar
- 550g Porridge Oats
- 200g Rolled Oats
- 2 tbsp Water
- 300ml Golden Syrup
- 100g Bramley Apple, peeled and grated
- Place the blackberries, raspberries and caster sugar in a small saucepan and put over a gentle heat. Allow the berries to soften and simmer until a thick syrup forms. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C, or Gas Mark 3. Prepare a 24cm square dish by greasing and lining with baking parchment.
- Place the butter, demerara sugar, water, and golden syrup in a large heavy based saucepan and heat gently. Allow the butter to melt and the sugar to dissolve.
- Remove the butter mixture from the heat and add the porridge oats and rolled oats. Mix thoroughly until well combined.
- Spoon half the mixture into the prepared dish. Spread evenly with the back of a spoon and ensure the mixture is level throughout the dish.
- Spread the blackberry syrup over the oats and spread evenly. Grate the apple directly over the blackberry syrup. Add the remaining flapjack mixture and distribute evenly.
- Bake for approximately 30-40 minutes until the top of the flapjack is a rich, golden colour. Once cooled, remove from the dish and cut into portions.