Red Wine Poached Pears
Ingredients and Method
- 6 Pears, peeled
- 1 Vanilla Pod
- 1 Bottle of Red Wine (Cabernet Sauvignon or a Merlot works best)
- 225g Superfine Sugar
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 1 sprig Fresh Thyme for decoration
- Handful of Chopped almonds
- Halve the vanilla pod and scrape out the seeds then place the seeds and remaining pod in a large sauce pan along with the red wine, sugar and cinnamon stick.
- Lower the pears in to the pan ensuring they are submerged in the wine and cover with the lid.
- Poach the pears for around 20 minutes or until they are tender all the way through.
- Remove the pears from the pan, then continue to boil the liquid to form a syrup. Once the liquid is reduced, leave to one side to cool.
- Slice the pears in half and serve with the cooled syrup, a sprig of thyme and some whipped mascarpone cheese or whipped cream. Sprinkle each serving with chopped almonds.