Ingredients and Method
- 500g Rhubarb , chopped into chunks the length of your thumb
- 100g Golden caster sugar
- 3 tbsp Port (optional)
- 140g Self-raising flour
- 85g Butter, chilled
- 50g Light brown muscovado sugar
- 50g Chopped walnuts (optional)
- Tip the rhubarb into a saucepan with the sugar and port, if using. Cover and simmer on a very low heat for 15 mins, adding more sugar if you want. When soft (but still holding its shape) and sweet enough, pour the rhubarb into a medium baking dish.
- Heat oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. To make the topping, rub the flour and butter together with your fingers until you have a soft, crumbly topping. Now add the sugar and nuts, mixing together with your hands. Scatter the topping over the rhubarb and bake for 30 mins or until golden brown on top.