Scottish Vanilla Shortbread
Ingredients and Method
- 160g Plain flour
- 100g Chilled butter
- 65g Golden caster sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 Large egg
- Tip the flour into a food processor.
- Cut the butter into small pieces and drop them into the bowl. Mix until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs. If you do not have a food processor, place the flour and butter in a mixing bowl and combine using your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the egg yolk, sugar, and vanilla then mix to form a small dough. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- To bake, preheat the oven to 180°C / 350°F / gas mark 4. Roll the dough to 3mm thickness on a lightly dusted surface.
- Cut out the biscuits using the cutter stamp and place them on a greased baking tray.
- Place in the middle shelf of the oven and bake for approximately 8 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Transfer the biscuits onto a cooling rack to cool.