Ingredients and Method
- 150ml Semi-skimmed Milk, mixed with just under 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 225g Plain Flour
- 25g Oatmeal
- 1/2 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- Preheat oven at 180°c, gas mark 4. Lightly grease a baking sheet. Combine the milk and vinegar and set aside.
- Place the dry ingredients in a bowl. Make a well in the centre, pour in milk and vinegar and stir. When the dough comes together, tip onto a lightly floured surface and knead very briefly until smooth.
- Shape into a small dome, about 15cm in diameter and move the loaf to the baking tray. Use a knife or bread lame to slash a cross in the loaf about 1cm deep.
- Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven until the loaf sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom. Best eaten warm from the oven.