Steamed Syrup Pudding
Ingredients and Method
- 250g Butter
- 250g Light Muscovado Sugar
- 250g Self-raising Flour
- 4 Eggs
- 2 tsp Ground Ginger
- 4 tbsp Golden Syrup
- Butter the inside of a 900ml pudding basin.
- Beat the butter for 1-2 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add the sugar and beat for another 2 minutes until smooth.
- Add the eggs and flour and whisk for 2 minutes until it is thoroughly blended.
- Measure 4 tablespoons of golden syrup into the base of the pudding basin.
- Spoon the mixture into the pudding basin and smooth the surface.
- Make a lid with a layer of greaseproof paper and then foil, making a pleat in the centre which will allow the pudding to rise
- Tie the foil securely with string around the rim, then place each pudding in a large pan with enough water to come halfway up the sides of the basin. (See our tutorial on how to make a lid for steaming puddings).
- Steam the pudding for 2 hours topping up with water as necessary.