Ingredients and Method
- 160g Flour
- 230g Bread flour
- 1 tbsp Custard powder
- 7g Fast action yeast
- 2 tbsp Caster sugar (for coating the doughnuts)
- 150ml Warmed milk
- 50g Melted butter
- 1 Medium egg, beaten
- 300ml Vegetable oil (for frying)
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl and make a well in the middle. Then, pour the milk, egg and butter into the well and bring together with your hands until fully combined.
- Tip onto a floured work surface and knead for around 10 minutes.
- Clean the mixing bowl and oil it slightly before placing the dough in it and covering with cling film. Allow the dough to prove until doubled in size for around 45 minutes.
- Knock the dough back, and then divide it into around 12 equal sized balls. Knead and roll each one and place them on a floured surface, cover with a cloth and allow them to rise for around half an hour.
- Heat up the oil in a deep pan to around 190ºC. Very gently lower the dough balls into the oil with a spoon (be careful as the oil may spit) and heat each side of the balls for around 30 seconds until golden brown.
- Remove the doughnuts from the pan and drain on a kitchen towel before rolling them in caster sugar. Fill the doughnuts with jam, cream or custard!