The perfect mix of a scone and a cake, these sultana buns are a British classic. Quick and inexpensive, these are perfect for serving at your next afternoon tea.
Ingredients and Method
- 225g self-raising flour
- 225g sultanas
- 100g unsalted butter, softened
- 50g granulated sugar
- 25g demerara sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp milk
- Preheat the oven to 190°C / fan 170°C / gas mark 5 and grease and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Mix the flour and butter in a S12 Mixing Bowl until you have a fine bread crumb like texture, then add in the sugar and sultanas and mix well. Whisk in the egg and milk until it forms a stiff mixture. If it’s looking a little dry, add in a little more milk.
- With your hands, shape the dough into 6 equal sized balls and sprinkle with the demerara sugar. Place on the baking trays and bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown around the edges.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack and serve fresh or freeze for up to two months.