Vanilla Marble Traybake
Take your traybake to the next level with this fun spin on the classic recipe. With a beautiful marble design, this is the perfect treat that everyone will enjoy.
Ingredients and Method
- 225g baking spread
- 225g caster sugar
- 275g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Red food colouring
- For the buttercream icing (optional)
- 150g unsalted butter, softened
- 350g icing sugar
- 4 tbsp whole milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C/fan 160 °C/gas 4. Line a 12-inch traybake dish with parchment paper.
- Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking spread and eggs in a 29cm Mixing Bowl until light and fluffy.
- Separate the mixture into two smaller bowls. Add the red food colouring to one of the bowls and mix well. Leave the second bowl as it is.
- Place large spoonfuls of both cake batters (one at a time) into the dish. Using a long skewer or fork, swirl the two cake batters together to create your desired marble effect.
- Bake for 30 minutes until fully cooked. Pierce a wooden skewer down the middle of the sponge and if it comes up clean, its done! Leave to one side to cool.
- For the buttercream, combine the butter, vanilla extract and icing sugar until smooth. Add 1 tbsp of milk at a time to loosen the mixture until you reach your desired consistency.
- Spoon the frosting into a piping bag and add your favourite nozzle and pipe onto the traybake.
- Cut the traybake into 9 equal size pieces and serve.